Saturday, June 14, 2008

The hopefully short road to recovery

Well, it was on my fifth day of crossfit where I injured myself. We were working on strict press, specifically doing max reps on 80% of our max weight. I was on rep 15, and my shoulders were starting to feel the fatigue. "I know," I thought, "I'll widen my grip, that'll help," and as soon as the idea came to me I did exactly that, I widened my grip. Now, crossfit is my first experience with Olympic lifts, so I will chalk this up to a rookie mistake, but I adjusted the weight the instant the idea came to me, which was when my elbows were locked and directly over my head.

As you can imagine, when I did this pain shot through my left shoulder. It didn't make me drop the weight or anything, but I definitely felt pain. However, the pain subsided almost instantly, and so I did about five more reps and proceeded to do the WOD. that night when I went to bed my shoulder was a little sore, but when I woke up the next morning it was really, really painful.

Long story short, I went to the doc, who did an ultrasound and said I have a partial thickness tear of my supraspinatus, one of the muscles that are called rotator cuff muscles. This floored me, I had read that these injuries can take up to six months to recover from, so I was relieved when I learned I should only be out for 3 weeks. Thankfully, it's a slight injury.

I'm two weeks into therapy now and the pain is less and less by the day. It's been frustrating not being able to work out like I want to, but there's nothing I can do about it now but continue my therapy and get better, healthier, and eventually back into what I fondly refer to as the "blue room of death." So my current mantra is "I will recover, I will get back to my old strength, and then I will get even stronger."

Let's just hope that it won't take too long.....

No comments: